Monday, November 24, 2014

She's still alive!

November 24, 2014

Hello Family and Friends!!
I always love p-day. I love the fact that I get to hear from you! All of the funny stories, and what is going on at home. I also loved getting that letter from you mom, and the cards. I think the most funniest story was the one about the chicken coop almost burning up. I kinda was giggling during that whole story. "Poor" chickens I really feel "bad" for their desire to go and break the light... tehe.:)
This week has been so much better than last week. Sister Hunter says that the first week in the mission field is the worst because of how hard it is to adjust to mission life. I totally agree with her on that. Last week was so much more smooth than last week. Sister Hunter and I made some goals this week during our weekly planning that we would pay more attention to the spirit than we had, and to visit the part member families in our ward. And let me tell ya, striving to hit those goals had made this last week more meaningful. All the way from finding the people that have been prepared for the gospel to people that needed to have a prayer with us. Doing those things have blessed us and them.
The way that we find our investigators is through a harvest blessing. A Harvest blessing is a certain prayer that we say with people when we go and knock on their door. We then ask them what we can say in this prayer for their family and for themselves. When the person is willing to feel the spirit and is not mean to us, then they feel the spirit that we bring into the home. When we pray we have to follow the spirit during the prayer to say the things that we need to say for that person. The process of finding the individual also includes the spirit majorly. Before we go and harvest we look at a map and decide which place He wants us to go, then we pray about it and this last week we have gone to a wonderful street every night. I never thought I would be prayed to a house but you know what, it has happened a few times this week.
For Example, on Saturday night Sister Hunter and I were wondering who to go see for our last appointment that night before we had to go home. We were looking through a less active/ part member list  and none of the names stuck out to either of us, so I had the feeling that I needed to look through the old investigators that were previously dropped. I was flipping through the names when I got to a paper that said "Jody" on it and I looked at it and the spirit told me to go and see her. The problem was that she was a little ways away from us, but the spirit was so strong that Sister Hunter and I went to go and visit Jody. It turns out that Jody had been praying about us all week and wondering why the Elders dropped her. When we knocked on the door her face was in shock that there was sisters instead of elders on her doorstep because she had also been wondering why the sisters couldn't go to her house. And that was because that was the Elders half of the ward. But, since they took out the old Elders and Sisters and put Sister Hunter and I in to have the huge area to ourselves, we were able to go and see Jody. Jody is really excited to be baptized. She wants to start coming to church again. She is a wonderful lady.
At church this week we didn't have any investigators until after the sacrament. Which was sad because The investigators need to be present for the sacrament for it to count, but we will try again next week. One of our investigators, Darius, (oh Jack he is a semi-pro football player) came to church after sacrament meeting. He is SO amazing, he loves to research things and to learn things, so he loved church because of all the things he learned and that he was able to get more materials that he could read and learn more. He actually wants to bring his girlfriend to church. He decided to get baptized on the 31st of December. But, I think that he will want to get baptized earlier for how fast he is learning. He and his girlfriend are thinking about getting married this next month! Which means that they can get baptized together!! YAY!!!
I'm grateful for the opportunity that I have had to come out and serve my Heavenly Father. I have learned so much about the spirit and how it works and how I can better follow it. I have met so many different types of people from the houses to the ghetto. I have seen humble people who live in the ghetto want to start anew and change their lifestyle because they are not happy. I love Jesus Christ and I love this Gospel and this work. I love you all MUCHO MUCH!! And I hope that everything is going just peachy for you all!
Love,
Sister Salmond

No comments:

Post a Comment